Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Please appease

I do not usually use this blog to air my own personal grievances because it is an art blog and not my bitching block, but today I must air out my head. If you look at this for art only then skip this entry.

I am feeling frusterated lately. In the design world and my own personal life. I have been hearing nothing but criticism. Constructive crit is all fine and good, but when I get "I do not like this" without any real design issues I find myself wondering where design ends and personal taste begins. It is a blurry line and as a designer I find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place. Am I being stubborn/closed minded or do I just have a different vision? I feel like I am at the point where I can make decisions for myself and know that they informed by a design objective. In my personal life it feels different. I have been feeling like I am not understood by anyone. I want to hear something and instead I get the exact opposite response. Sometimes I need validation not tough love. And I do not know if it is even tough love...more like tough hate. It has been making me an angry person. I do not need to be given reasons why I should do something or have someone say they think I am being irrational or mean. I want to be placated! I should wear a sign that says "Please appease."
In my microcosm of design decisions are based on briefs, mood boards, and concrete objectives. In my personal life I do not want to have a brief I want people to understand what I need to hear and not what they think I should hear. Is that too much to ask? I do not think so. What I really need is a break...which I will get in two weeks....not soon enough. I hope on my break that I am reinvigorated in all areas of my life. IN the mean time, if you see a grumpy looking designer do not try to pet or approach it, you may get bitten.

No comments: