Monday, May 14, 2012

New York Grows

This has been in my head for awhile and its finally done. Its a grow map of NY made of all the produce that can and does grow in New York State. It is not geographically specific to New York...there is surprising little information on what grows where, but I think its hard to decide what to include. I was not sure if I wanted to just represent what New York State produces mainly (which would mean a map made of grapes and apples) and so I went with what our state grows and can sustain. It is a surprising amount of produce. I think minus citrus we do a pretty amazing job. I wish I could grow all this stuff in my window. I am currently attempting cilantro and lettuce...only time will tell.

Pictured: apples, asian pears, asparagus, beans, beets, blackberries, blueberries, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cherries, collard greens, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, grapes, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, lima beans, mushrooms, okra, onions, parsnips, peaches, pears, peas,  plums, peppers,  potatoes, pumpkin, radish, raspberries, rhubarb, scallions, spinach, summer squash, tomatoes, turnip, watermelon, winter squash.    

No comments: