Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Instant Rantaroni the NYC treat!

"You don't know the reason why you do what you do."
This is not the thing one wants to hear about the job they do 35+ hours a week. I had my check in for the uws side store today. It was supposed to be a casual thing and it was for the most part, but this phrase ruined the rest of my day. I am the first to admit that I am a sensitive person, but this pissed me off. Over 4 years in coffee, 2 certifications, 2 in house competitions, numerous books, 2 written exams on coffee, and 12 hours of Nick Cho talking at me have earned me the right to say I know why I make drinks the way I do. I do not want to be supreme overlord of the coffee word and I could care less about barista competitions, but I know what I am talking about. I know why I do not "thump" or "knock" anymore, I know why I do things the same way every time, and I know why a shot tastes good and why it does not. Ones education never stops and this is true for coffee too. I read books and blogs and I have changed my form at least twice. Knowing why I pull shots a specific way is what qualifies me to work in specialty coffee.
I work hard and I am tired of crying about it. It seems that every job in this field I spend the first 2 weeks coming home crying. I want to get to the point where I walk into a shop and feel like I can do my job without being constantly scrutinized. I want to be recognized for my ability and not treeated like some pion...yes pion, unling....
I do not want power, but I am getting mighty sick of being dominated. I know this is the problem with working for other people. There is always someone who is going to feel threatened and therefore they are going to lash out, but I am getting fed up with being the punching bag. Yes I take things personally...but I think I have a right to. It is personal when its more than a job. I spend most of my week working on being better and then to have someone who does not know me or my method come in and judge me...not acceptable.
And the best part is I said "I keep up with the coffee world. I read blog (also forums and books)." To which said person replies "I don't read blogs (with disdain), but I have been doing this for a long time." bullshit.
-----
I have to rant when someone ruins my 8 hour day. I feel like a fire hydrant that never puts out fires, but always gets peed on. Go pee on someone else!
poop

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss,

I feel you. Perhaps you and me, we buddy it up, eh? Sounds like misery loves company... And you got a lot of the former. :)