Saturday, November 17, 2007

rocky waters

This was an assignment for Gary. We had to create an image relating to food or drinks and it had to make space flat. I really liked the way this turned out and I would like to do more things like this in the future.


I have been feeling really negative lately about my design skills. I feel like I have a style and want to branch out, but I am not being successful. Anyway, its just one of those weeks where nothing is making sense for me. I know when something looks right and when it looks wrong, but I cannot figure out why most of the time. I wonder how employable I will be as a designer. I just wish things clicked more and right now I know there are things I want to do but I don't know how to do them; I am not there yet. blah.

2 comments:

ester said...

totally cute!

Kevin M. Scarbrough said...

The best way to get better is to work, and study good design. Downstairs, Hank and crew have a copy of damn near every major design annual, magazine, ect.

You are doing the former (working), I'd recommend doing the latter (studying).

Allow yourself to really dig into someone else's work, get inside their head and figure out why in their world, "A + B = R".

The thing I am currently struggling with is in a similar vein, but from a different direction. While a conceptual nature is critical to a piece, there is an undeniable visual component that must be as tightly captured as the thought that is driving it.

I mention this because it might help. Take a critical look at the single weakest aspect of your work, and then fix it. Don't ask anyone else for advice on what it is, dwell on it yourself. You know it somewhere in the back of your mind.

For me, it has been work being too flat and not having enough texture, visually or physically. To overcome this, I've been trying to view things in layers as I work.