Saturday, April 10, 2010

Project Reject

A wonderful rejection from a great publisher. This was a company that reached out to me originally. I do hope to work with them in the future and I completely understand that the fit is not right for this project. Its hard because immediately I wanted to say, "oh, I can change everything if it means you will publish me!" But honestly, do I want that. I think, for the future, I will consider the idea of short and series potential stories. Anyway, received this last night. I truly respect this company and I am choosing to take this as a good sign.

----------

Hi Charrow.

Thanks so much for sharing The Ugly Sweater with me. It’s really stunning, and I loved the twist. That said, I don’t think it’s the right fit for our list. As is, it’s much longer than the picture books we publish (typically 32 or 40 pages), so I’d want to make a number of cuts (which doesn’t seem to fit with your vision of the book). Also, our focus right now is on characters with series potential.

I wish you so much luck with The Ugly Sweater. And if the right manuscript comes my way, I’ll make sure to reach out to you.

No comments: